Nine members of the National Youth Service Corps who are currently serving in Taraba State on Saturday drowned in River Mayo-Selbe in Gashaka Local government Area.
Taraba State Police Command Police Public Relations Officer, ASP David Missal, who confirmed the death of nine out of the 22 corps members who were swimming in River Mayo-Selbe said seven corpses have so far been recovered from the incident.
“Information available revealed that 22 youth corps members had gone on a picnic party in River Mayo-Selbe in Gashaka LGA on Saturday when the incident happened.
“We were made to understand that while they were swimming in the river, there was sudden upsurge in the volume of water, which carried them away.
“Nine of them drowned, while others managed to escape.
“We have so far recovered seven corpses, while the search for the two remaining corpses is still in progress,” Missal said.
Taraba State NYSC Coordinator, Mrs. Florence Yaakugh, also confirmed the incident, which she described as “most unfortunate.”
Yaakugh also confirmed that seven bodies have been recovered, while the search for the other two bodies was still ongoing by the locals in collaboration with security agencies and the NYSC.
“It’s a very sad development and we would soon have the identity of all the corps members involved in the accident and make such information known appropriately.
“We have very sketchy information indicating that about nine of our corps members drowned in Gashaka yesterday.
“So far, seven bodies have been recovered and we are working with relevant persons to recover the rest of the bodies and to identify them.
“This is a very sad development and the entire NYSC family in Taraba State is already thrown into deep mourning,” she said.
This is really a sad news for the family of these Taraba Corpers’ parents. This sad news is coming barely a week that the NYSC DG announced the FG’s move to increase the monthly allowance of Corp Members in Nigeria.
5 Nigerian Politicians That Tested Positive To COVID-19
The COVID-19 pandemic has wrecked havock in many countries worldwide, shutting down businesses and more.
Many nations’ economy have suffered huge drops and alot have changed in terms of economic activities.
The pandemic has proven to have no favorites as every social strata can be affected by it. Nigeria is not left out on the list of countries affected.
As at the time of writing this article, Nigeria has about 5,100+ cases of COVID-19. While some Nigerians believe this, some others doubt and have tagged it a politicized virus on Nigeria’s shores.
Following mainstream media reports from March 2020, recall that both politicians and celebraties were affected by this outbreak.
Here in this article are the list of some Nigerian politicians that contracted the deadly coronavirus.
While some recovered fully, one died as numerous reports blamed his previous health challenges.
1. Abba Kyari (1952-2020)
Abba Kyari while alive was the chief of staff to the Nigerian President Muhammadu Buhari. Abba Kyari served the nation and while doing that contracted the virus.
He eventually died on the 17th of April 2020 due to the complications caused by the COVID-19 within his system according to reports.
2.Governor Nasir El-rufai
The Governor of Kaduna state, Nasir El-Rufai announced that he tested positive to COVID-19 himself .
The governor tested positive to the virus on the 28th March 2020. He has been under going treatments since then.
3.Governor Bala Monhammed
Bauchi State Governor Bala Mohammed tested positive to the dreaded Coronavirus last month. However, Governor Bala after receiving treatments tested negative after being tested on 9th April 2020.
He has since resumed work at the governemnt house and as well encouraged the use of malaria drugs in the fight against the COVID-19.
Raymond Dokpesi the Founder of DAAR Communications earlier tested positive to the Virus alongside other members of his family but fortunately, he tested negative after receiving treatments.
He was declared neagtive on 14th May 2020. He however lamented over the poor Medical infrastructures in Nigeria.
He called upon the Federal Government to look into ways to improve the healthcare systems in the country.
The Edo State House of Assembly speaker Frank Okiye on 25th March 2020 tested positive to the Virus. His status then made the Edo state Governor Godwin Obaseki go into self isolation .
However, on 24th April after receiving treatments, the Speaker tested Negative.
The Edo state government in a bid to curb the spread of the Virus decided to set up screening centres all around the state’s borders.
The Political Agenda For Repatriating Almajiri Boys To Southern Nigeria
Currently amidst the Coronavirius pandemic, many Northern States are actively repatriating large numbers of Almajiri young boys from one state to another but the part that makes it sound security threatening is that the practice of having almajiri boys within communities is not a common phenomena or religious practice in the southern region of Nigeria.
Some southerners have tagged the move of sending Almajiri boys down to the south as political and as well as religious with a terror plan underground. While this is unverified, the rate which at which trucks loaded with young boys from the north are trooping into the south is alarming.
The manner with which they try to smuggle them in makes it look like there is more to it. For some, they use trucks for cows to hide the boys. Days ago, a Dangote truck was involved in the smiggling of young boys from the north.
So, is there more to this recent smuggling? If they are not hiding something alongside the trucks, why are they not bold to drive into Southern cities without having to hide under tampoline covers meant for goods? These are questions the governors who are repartraiting almajiris from their states need to answer.
Politically, if we are to analyze this, there is an underground plan that has not been made bare yet as far as this all of a sudden repartriation of young boys are concerned. The Federal Government should not keep quiet about this neither Should southern Governors.
A practice perculiar to the North that doesn’t end well at the end of the day should not be shifted to the south for any reason. These boys they are shifting to the South have no home, family or any relation to stay with when they get to he South.
They will start by joining those Northerners who are predominantly farmers in the south in their humble abode until they seek something terrible to indulge in such as Highway kidnapping in the South-South and South-west regions.
Not judging but if you take note of the culprits behind kidanpping on South-west and some part of South-South highways, they are 70% Northern young men who have relocated to the south with no prior plan on what to do to survive.
Because they moved to the south with no basic plan of what to do, they are easily recruitd by kidnap kingpins in the South to perpetrate all manner of crimes within the regions. This calls for Federal Government attention.
Politically, those behind the all of a sudden shiting of Almajiri boys to the south are seeking a 20-50 years plan to battle for lands and communities in the South in the future. This may be tagged as mere allegations but that is the fact staring at the South.
THIS IS THE GRAND PLAN:
Move the boys to the remote southern regions, get their hands busy with all manner of activities (Legal or illegal). This gimmick is not easily understood by the people of the South. These boys leverage on this error of the south to have knowledge of all nooks and cranny of the remote southern parts.
Most of the boys being smuggled to the south via different means will not reside within the major cities but will smartly move to the rural areas. In the next 30 – 50 years, they will start claiming lands belonging to communities that housed them for over 40 years.
This method is not new as so many Fulani Normads have employed it severally in Plateau and Benue state in recent times. When this doesn’t go their way, they engage in a heavy masssacre of locals to prove their points.
Is this going to be the reality of some rural areas in the South in the next 50 Years? This should not be seen as a message to preach against one Nigeria because there are Northerners who are based in the Southern Nigeria and are there with good reasons likewise the Southernerns in the North.
Those who choose to smuggle themselves into a region with a decoy method have something devilish and demonic in mind against such regions are enemies of Peace. If one is confident of a good move, he/she doesn’t need to hide to do it.
Why are Almajiri Boys smuggled to the South in fishy ways recently? The Southern Governors should throw this question to the Northern Governors while it is still day.
One Nigeria is very much possible when a Region stops playing devilish moves against others.
EFCC Donates Allison Diezani’s Mansion To Lagos Govt as COVID-19 Isolation Centre (Photos)
In a bid to support the curbing of the Coronavirus, the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, on Friday, handed over a property forfeited by former Minister of Petroleum Resources, Diezani Allison-Madueke to the Lagos State Government.
The seized mansion is to be used as an Isolation Centre for COVID-19 patients.
The property consisting six flats of three bedrooms and a boys’ quarter was forfeited by Diezani, a minister under the Jonathan administration, following an order of Lagos State Federal High in 2017.
Speaking during the handover ceremony, the Lagos Zonal Head of the EFCC, Mohammed Rabo, stated that the gesture was part of the commission’s social responsibility efforts towards the fight against the spread of Corona virus.