Connect with us

Lifestyle

Papua New Guinea Police move in on closed Australia refugee camp on Manus

Published

on

Australia's Manus Island refugee camp was closed after a PNG Supreme Court ruled it was unconstitutional, and some 600 refugees were told to relocate to three nearby transition centres

Papua New Guinea police moved
into the shuttered Australian refugee camp on the country’s Manus Island
Thursday in the most aggressive push yet to force hundreds of men to
leave, the Australian government and detainees said. The police operation was confirmed by Australia’s Immigration Minister Peter Dutton, who said Canberra was “very keen for people to move out of the Manus regional processing centre”.

“I think it’s outrageous that people are still there,” he told Sydney commercial radio station 2GB. “We want people to move.”
Iranian Behrouz Boochani tweeted
from inside the camp earlier Thursday, writing that “police have
started to break the shelters, water tanks and are saying ‘move, move'”.
“Navy
soldiers are outside the prison camp. We are on high alert right now.
We are under attack,” he said, adding that two refugees were in need of
urgent medical treatment.
Other refugees
posted photos to social media sites showing police entering the camp,
which Australia declared closed on October 31 after the PNG Supreme
Court declared it unconstitutional.
A human rights campaigner from Australian activist group GetUp Shen Narayanasamy told
AFP she had heard there were buses parked outside the camp, although
police “have not as yet forcibly dragged anyone” to them.
Australian
Federal Police said in a statement to AFP that they had one liaison
officer on Manus, but no personnel were in the camp or involved in the
police operation.
Australia had shut off
electricity and water supplies to the camp and demanded that some 600
asylum-seekers detained there move to three nearby transition centres.
Around
400 of the asylum-seekers have refused to leave, saying they fear for
their safety in a local population which opposes their presence on the
island.
They also say the three transition centres are not fully operational, with a lack of security, sufficient water or electricity.
Meanwhile,
PNG Supreme Court is due to hear on December 15 an appeal against its
ruling earlier this month that the camp’s basic services were not to be
restored, lawyer Ben Lomai told AFP Thursday.

Refugees ‘need help’

Canberra
sends asylum-seekers who try to reach Australia by boat to detention
camps in Manus Island and Nauru under a harsh immigration policy, and
blocks them from resettling in Australia.
PNG Police Commissioner Gari Baki on Tuesday said his officers would not use force to move the men.
“The refugees will be asked politely to pack up and voluntarily leave the centre,” the police said in a statement Tuesday.
“(Baki) is confident the operation will be carried out successfully and in an orderly manner.”
Canberra
has strongly rejected calls to move the refugees to Australia and
instead has tried to resettle them in third countries, including the
United States.
But so far, just 54 refugees have been accepted by Washington, with 24 flown to America in September.
Despite
widespread criticism, Canberra has defended its offshore processing
policy as stopping deaths at sea after a spate of drownings.
The
camps’ conditions have been slammed by human rights groups amid reports
of widespread abuse, self-harm and mental health problems.
Former
Australians of the Year on Thursday called for the refugees to be given
immediate medical help an open letter to Prime Minister Malcolm
Turnbull and the leader of the main Labor opposition party Bill Shorten.
“This is not who we are as Australians or indeed as human beings,” the letter said, adding: “We believe that it is time to stop the unacceptable and internationally criticised treatment of the refugees.”
The
Australian Medical Association on Sunday called on Canberra to allow
doctors to help the refugees, warning there was a “worsening and more
dangerous situation emerging on Manus”.

google_ad_client = “ca-pub-7823325978435516”;
google_ad_host = “pub-1556223355139109”;
google_ad_slot = “7893254985”;
google_ad_width = 300;
google_ad_height = 250;

Advertisement

Ike Ani is a Freelance writer whose quest constantly is to relate happenings around the world to human daily living. He's also a song writer and singer, Acoustic Guitarist, and Teacher.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Lifestyle

L. A Prisoners Infect Themselves With Coronavirus To Get Early Release (VIDEO)

Published

on

By

A group of silly L.A area prison inmates were very eager to contract the dreaded coronavirus .

They attempted this because they believed that would trigger their ticket out of prison.

According to the L.A. County Sheriff Alex Villanueva who made the startling revelation Monday, said about twenty-four (24) inmates at the Pitchess Detention Center in Castaic attempted (and somewhat succeeded, apparently) to infect themselves way back in mid-April 2020.

The Sheriff revealed that their department saw an increase in spike in confirmed cases out of nowhere.

He said that when they investigated, they found a high number of inmates living in one block of the prison appeared to be deliberately trying to infect each other with COVID-19 any way they could from behind bars.

When Alex Villanueva played the surveillance footages he and his team combed through carefully , and it showed several inmates hanging out in a common area and passing around what Alex described as a hot cup of water, as well as one face mask they’d each put on all in hopes of getting sympathy from a judge to spring them from the facility and let them go home.

But it turns out, their little ploy worked but, only halfway.

Villanueva reported that 21 of the inmates (out of 50 in the block) caught the ‘Coronavirus.

“What they won’t catch is a break” said the Sheriff.

Watch the Video HERE

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Lifestyle

COVID-19 LOCKDOWN: 12 Year Old Albino Girl Suffers Eye Problems After Hawking Veggies In Abuja (PHOTOS)

Published

on

By

A very sad Facebook post greeted Nigerians from Abuja showing a 12 year old Albino Girl Grace, who started developing sight problems after Hawking Veggies under the scorching sun in Abuja.

The Facebook post stated that the little girl was asked to hawk the veggies by her aunt whom she lives with.

Below are the Screenshots of the Facebook post:

This sad news has sparked an outrage by well meaning individuals who spoke against such cruelty and insensitivity of the said girl’s aunt.

what do you think of this? Drop your comments below.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Lifestyle

“Buhari is Made In London” – Reno Omokri Blasts Presidency On Nigerian Made Products

The Buhari administration has been known for enforcing the Nigerian people to patronize Nigerian made goods though without much strategy to make life easier while this transition to economic growth is enforced.

Published

on

By

Reno Omokri Nuggets

The Buhari administration has been known for enforcing the Nigerian people to patronize Nigerian made goods though without much strategy to make life easier while this transition to economic growth is enforced. Many Nigerians have tagged it a harsh move that is insensitive and inhumane but moreso, Reno Omokri has singled out signals of hypocrisy in the President of Nigeria by outlining certain traits of family moves of the President that shows that he(Buhari) as the No.1 citizen has no regards for anything made in Nigeria but yet wants other Nigerians to embrace Nigerian made goods.

Reno Omokri ‘s tweet reads:

His kids schooled in England. His wife just returned from a 3 month UK stay. His daughter gave birth to his grandchild in Spain (made in Spain), yet
@MBuhari
, who is London, wants us to patronise made in Nigeria!

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending